The Importance of Sleep
Sleep. It is vital to our health, many would argue it is more important than exercise and diet. However, how many of us actually dedicate a small bit of time to improving our quality and quantity of sleep?
This is why sleep is so important...
1. Poor sleep can prevent you from losing weight! You will have less energy to do all of the vital things to improve your weight, such as exercise and cooking healthy meals. It will lead to laziness.
2. Improves your productivity and focus. Brain function can be severely affected when you have suffered from a poor night sleep.
3. Poor sleepers have a greater risk of heart disease and stroke.
4. Poor sleep can play a big factor in depression. Studies have shown that over 90% of people suffering with depression complain about how badly they sleep.
I could go on with my list. But let's take a positive outlook. Imagine if you could make a few small changes which in return could help you lose weight, improve your productivity and focus, reduce your risk of heart disease and ensure you stay mentally healthy.
Here is a list of some great ways to help improve the quality of your sleep. Like anything you change in your life, it will take a little bit of time and persistence to change the habit, but it will be well worth it in the long run!
1. Open a window - Lower carbon dioxide levels mean better night-time respiration and rest.
2. Magnesium - A magnesium supp will increase your sleep quality and duration, and help you fall asleep faster.
3. Caffeine intake - A decaf still contains one third of your standard coffee. Limit your coffee intake and try a cup of chamomile or other sleepy drink for a soothing nightcap.
4. Make a list - Overcome work anxieties by writing down some daily tasks onto paper before you shut eye.
5. Stop the leak - Trips to the toilet are a common culprit when it comes to disruption. Avoid liquids three hours before bed.
6. Vitamin D - Refilling your vitamin D stocks will brighten your forecast for better sleep. Get out into the sun when you can, getting out in the in sun over lunch can help you catch 46 minutes of extra zzs every night .
7. Read a book- It is not rocket science, put the phone down and read a book. 20 minutes of reading before you sleep can set your eyelids drooping.
Try making some small changes suggested above to improve your nights sleep and you will be soon reaping the benefits!